Friday, April 30, 2010

Simun!

Simun was an amazing experience, like nothing I have ever done in my life before. It was thrilling because I was always on the edge of my seat because my mind was ALWAYS racing for what I wanted to say; agree with them or not? Who should I side with? What could my country really do in this situation? I knew that my country wasn’t very wealthy and I could never really give as much aid or money or help to the extent that I wanted to but I knew I could suggest ideas and ask others to do what I couldn’t. The way that everyone in my group worked together to solve solutions was amazing, considering that most of us knew who everyone else was. I knew about half of the other people in my group, and my older friends defiantly helped me a lot in what I should do and how I should react to things. Most of the other freshmen seemed to have the same thought in their heads “what should I do?”

I honestly think I did pretty well, compared to how much I speak up in class; I really did participate in everything. I think I really handled the first scenario; it was focused right on my country and also Zimbabwe and as soon as I read it all I could think was “this is exactly what I didn’t want”. But I think I handled it pretty well.

By preparing I knew who I would be caucusing with and who I would be mostly agreeing with because they were my allies. Then I also knew all the information for when they were focusing on my country and I could answer all the questions I needed to. When all the other countries would confront me with questions or comments or ask me why I made that decision I could back myself up because I prepared. I searched things for hours at a time on official websites like bbc.com and I actually had fun learning about a different country and their back round. I found it all really interesting after a while and I compared all their information to what I knew about America’s information.

Next year I will for sure search a little bit more about my own country but also about others countries because I think if I knew more about them, I could compare myself more and know who exactly to talk to in certain situations.

No comments:

Post a Comment