Friday, March 26, 2010

Strategies.

One bright, bright sunny Friday, I was on my way home from school in my new, clean, blue green 2009 Charger. Windows down, sunglasses on, radio blaring and the rush of warm air screaming through my hair. Life was good.
I had a good ten, twenty minutes before I would be home; depending on the traffic. So I tried to enjoy myself after a stressful day of learning, and focused on the “me” time I had while I did. Just as I leaned back into my seat and relaxed, one of my favorite songs came onto the radio and-even though I couldn’t see my face-I knew it lit up in joy. I reached over to the knob and turned it up almost as high as it could go. Ignoring the smug glances and cursing looks; I had a mile wide smile. Cruising down the road one hand on the wheel, I let my cares fly out the window along with any thoughts of ever stopping this car.
I merged onto I-96 and took quick glances around before I distressed again. I leaned back and listened to the radio hosts debate about something that had no interest to me. Completely mellow and calm I started to day dream, thinking about my weekend and my plans and my friends. I noticed something out of the corner of my rearview mirror and snapped out of it. I looked; nothing there. Getting a weird look on my face, I looked forward again. Then I heard tires squealing and whipping my head around I saw a car speeding towards me. Gasping for air I attempted to wheel my car out of the way so I wouldn’t get hit. But it was too late. An old, rusty, white car slammed into my bumper. Crushing his whole front side, and sending me flying down the high way and collapsing into my driving wheel after knocking my head and arms around a few times. Barley conscious, the last thing I remember seeing before blacking out is two more cars swirling towards me; one coming at me from the side hitting my back seat, and the other coming at me straight dead on, throwing the opportunity at me to dance with the devil and fight for my life. Then, darkness.
I couldn’t move. I was weak. I felt cold and I had the sensation of floating. Then I heard my mothers’ voice and realized I was being pushed around on one of those body carts. I was at the hospital. I thought I was dreaming that this was a figment of my imagination. Then I remembered my crash; intense and terrifying. I tried to open my eyes and the lights burned, everything was fuzzy.

No comments:

Post a Comment